Map Top

Sunday, July 31, 2011

Yellowstone

I've been to Yellowstone before, so I actually planned to skip it today, and go straight through the park and out to the town of West Yellowstone, Montana.  It was a fair amount of climbing this morning (including my SIXTH crossing of the continental divide) so I didn't get to the park until 2:00, as some clouds were rolling in.  I've had some stressful days through Wyoming, arriving late in the evening, and I was sure that would be the case if I pushed it, so I stayed in the park.

And what fun I've had!  As I was eating lunch, my Teton neighbor, Jer, came over.  Jer (short for Jeremiah) was meandering around from San Diego, and had been at Grand Teton the past several days.  He decided to get out today, and came in to find me when he saw my bike outside.  We registered at the campsite, then (by Alicia's recommendation) went to a ranger program at the West Thumb geyser basin.  Back at camp we met our new neighbor Matt, who is heading east and got me excited for Montana - sounds much more populated and enjoyable than Wyoming.  After dinner the three of us went to a ranger talk on the volcano beneath the park.  Turns out it will kill us all, it's just a matter of when.



No comments:

Post a Comment