Map Top

Thursday, July 14, 2011

Strawberry smoothie

Don't judge my pink drink.  It's delicious.

I'm in the small town of Haviland.  There is a tiny college here, and this coffee shop is open until 10:00.  Do you have any idea how rare it is to find a town this small with an open gas station, let alone a Friends-style coffee shop, complete with board games and fruit smoothies?

Speaking of the college - this morning I made two phone calls.  First, I made tentative lodging arrangements with the college. If I made it to Haviland, I could have a room for $40.  That's pretty steep for dorm lodging.  Either way, a room would be there if I wanted.  

The second call was to Haviland police, who gave me permission to camp in the town park, for free.

So I got to town and the park looked perfectly acceptable.  However, I did walk over to the college, and took a shower in the dorm.  I didn't use their towels or toiletries or anything.

So - do I owe them anything?  I certainly don't owe $40.  In the morning I have a few options:

1 - go to the office (as instructed if I slept there) and work something out
2 - call from the road and work something out over the phone
3 - slip $5 under the office door
4- leave and don't look back

#1 may be tough since they probably open after I'd be gone.  I'm leaning towards #2.  I can't imagine they'll care much.  Please send me your ethical opinions!

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=37.61638639,-99.10608067




8 comments:

  1. I opt for choice #3 with a thank-you note for the shower attached to the $5.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No room no fee
    But might they be upset that you
    Trespassed?
    Might be best to say nothing and make the
    Five dollar donation anonymously

    Dad

    ReplyDelete
  3. Alicia and I agree that #3 is the best choice. Write a note that says thank you, you didn't stay but you did take a brief shower. And by the way, what an academic and athletic powerhouse that Haviland is! I mean, include that in your note. :)

    - Amity

    ReplyDelete
  4. Possibly option 3 with note and donation as suggested shows you appreciated our fine Kansas water. Can't imagine they'd care too much though. Not too sure if Haviland is known for being a powerhouse of much. :) Glad to have had a chance to see you Dave.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm pretty sure that if you know for a fact beforehand that someone won't mind, it's not considered stealing (by Jewish law). ie if you're at someone's house, you don't have to ask them if you can use their toilet paper becuase it's implied. In that case, the $5 is an arbitrary fee and you don't know for sure that they care. I say you ask them them if they would mind-- and if they say yes, then you pay them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. burn the place down, destroying all evidence of you ever being there!!!!
    Then rush back in after the fires been burning for a while, put out the fire (which must be pretty easy) and give them the $5 so you look like a hero. Just imagine:
    The Haviland Riding Deans with a mascot in a green hoodie on a bike! It's a perfect plan, though you may need to burn this blog to destroy the paper trail back to my suggestion.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cleansing fire is often the best solution, but it's a bible college - the irony would be too much for me to stand.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I 100% agree with Mac, and trust that you followed his plan.

    ReplyDelete