Map Top

Thursday, July 21, 2011

Pedestrian malls

Several cities I've been through have really nice pedestrian malls as a big part of their downtown.  They're nothing more than commercial streets that don't allow cars.  Denver, Boulder and Louisville have particularly nice ones; I really like them, both in practice and in theory.

If I were King of Boston, I'd do this to Newbury St, and maybe Hanover as well.  They're already full of pedestrians and are full of places to eat, shop, and just stroll around.  Driving down either of them is an exercise in urban misery, and neither are major through streets.  Especially Newbury - why not close it to cars, expand the sidewalks, allow for trees and benches and art and vendors down the middle?  

Vote for Dave, I'll make this happen!



2 comments: