Map Top

Sunday, July 3, 2011

By order of the mayor

Quick summary of the rest of the ride.  Towanda was a very small town, but I did manage to get a hamburger at a barbecue outside the gas station and talk to a local cop for a bit.  I blew through Bloomington on a rail trail that went right through through town.  It looked like a few neighborhoods were nice, some were dumpy. Overall probably a nicer-than-average city.

After Bloomington it was a dead sprint to Atlanta.  I had found a campsite a few miles from there, and when I called they said the office would be closed early so they could go to the fireworks in town.  

Fireworks!

So, my plan was to race the final 18 miles to Atlanta, watch the show, then head out to the campground.  But when I got to town, I found that the fireworks were at the baseball fields.  I love camping by the baseball fields!  I looked for a police officer to ask, but was told the only officer was driving around in an unmarked car.  I asked some firefighters, but they said it was a question for the cops.  HOWEVER, they said, the MAYOR would be near the concession stand, and he would be the best person to ask.  So I found him, told him my story, and by mayoral decree, I am camping tonight at the Atlanta, Illinois baseball field.  

Today was really my first day of flat terrain and little wind.  Coupled with an early start, my enjoyment of these towns, and my push to see the fireworks, I covered 101.21 miles today, at an average of 14.9 mph.  That also puts St. Louis only two days away, so my big day saved me a day of my schedule.  

Overall just a ridiculously fun day!




4 comments:

  1. Wow, that's alot of miles to cover in one day! You were rewarded with fireworks! So cool that you met the mayor and camped by mayoral decree! Keep up the good work.
    Love you,
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. long way to go for a fireworks display,
    but must be worth it.

    Dav

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really bad news for you buddy, but Atlanta is in Georgia, you need to get your GPS fixed. Also, you said Peru was like 100 miles west of chicago, i'm pretty that's wrong too. All the best

    ReplyDelete
  4. i kind of wished you had been questioned while camping by authorities. then you can tell them "mayor ____ told me i could. call him."

    ReplyDelete