Map Top

Saturday, July 16, 2011

Gatorade

My hydration pattern the past week or so has been to drink one water bottle per 10-15 miles on the road, then drink a 32 oz Gatorade when I get to the next town (works perfectly here where towns are about 30 miles apart).  

A nice thing about Gatorade is that they got rid of high fructose corn syrup and switched to sugar (Powerade still uses corn syrup).  Even if the benefits of sports drinks are largely marketing hype (It's got what cyclists crave!), I suppose I'd rather drink salty sugar water than diluted high fructose corn syrup.



3 comments:

  1. It sounds kind of gross when biking in 105 degree weather, but...

    I did read that drinking chocolate milk after a work out (so maybe at the end of your day?) is the absolute best combination of carbohydrates, protein, and sodium (to help retain water). It also has double the carbs and protein of Gatorade.

    So I challenge you to try a test over the next week, drinking Gatorade as your sports drink for a few days, then chocolate milk. Who will win!? Science experiment!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm willing to try, but regardless of who wins I know that if I get that much lactose in me the loser will be the Kansas sewage system.

    ReplyDelete