Map Top

Friday, July 8, 2011

Early start and thieving critters

The upside to my rough day yesterday was that I was in bed (well, tent) around 10:00.  And early to rise - I woke up at 5.  So today I've already biked an hour and had a nice breakfast, all before 9:00.  And the temperature is great this early.

Last night was creepy.  I was the only one in the campground, and nature was being super loud.  I've been good about food storage since our raccoon adventure in Indiana.  I put everything in a pannier and hung it from a branch.  But as soon as I went to bed, I heard something outside.  I shined my flashlight at the food bag, and an unseen animal was making it swing around.  No idea what - a raccoon on its hind legs?  A bear?  Smoke monster?  I didn't want to find out because I'd be terrified if it was something big, so I rolled over and fell asleep.  I think it was renewed foraging that woke me up at 5.  I went outside, but there was nothing to be seen.  Whatever it was had not damaged the pannier, but had managed to pull out my bread and a couple Clif bars.  A squirrel dropping in from the tree, perhaps?  How can I defend against that?  

If I'm having wildlife problems now, I'm as good as bear chow in Colorado, right?

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=38.60256304,-90.99830815






No comments:

Post a Comment