Map Top

Monday, July 18, 2011

Barbecue!

Where to start.  I was eating late lunch in Las Animas and called the police in a few upcoming towns to ask permission to camp in the park.  All three said no!  This had never once been a problem in Kansas.  Pretty greedy, Colorado.

So, I pushed ahead to La Junta, which has motels, a Walmart, and *shudder* a KOA.  For those who don't know, Walmart allows you to sleep in your car in their parking lots.  I have not yet tested if this extends to setting up a tent.

So I'm heading out to the KOA, and I pass a municipal pool.  I stop in the parking lot to call KOA and confirm that they also have a pool.  As I'm about to head out, two guys come up to me, and when I tell them my story, one says "oh - you can stay at my place".  Not only that, but they invited me in to the pool area, which was hosting a church party and barbecue.  That's good for a bingo square!

So, here I am in Pat's backyard, all showered and ready for an early night.  Tomorrow I should reach Pueblo, then I'll be right up against the mountains as I turn north towards Colorado Springs and Denver.  Super pumped.

Oh - I've been informed that I did not see the mountains yesterday.  Certainly looked like them to me, but a couple people have told me that you can't see them that far away.  Whatever - I'm sticking with my story.  I had special circumstances (clear and at sunset) and, dammit, I saw them from Kansas!






2 comments:

  1. I noticed that the altitude is steadily rising. Are you feeling it while you bike or is it very gradual? What a nice man Pat is to host you! As far as seeing the Rockies from so far away, just ask Sarah Palin if it's possible!
    Have a good one.
    Love,
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. nice thumbs up to you too.

    Dad

    ReplyDelete