Map Top

Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Lander brewing company



So, I must admit that today was my most frustrating day of biking since way back at day #2.  The reason was wind.  I got started at a normal time, and made the first 20 miles super fast, due to a southerly wind (and my northerly direction).  I reached Split Rock before noon.  Those of a similar age (or a much much older age, I suppose) will recognize it as the first Oregon Trail milestone that I have found.  (I am going to reach The Dalles then raft the Columbia SO HARD.  Who would ever take the toll road?)

So I got to Jeffrey City, and you already know all about that.  But after lunch, OH MY GOD I've never biked through wind like that.  I had turned west, and so had the wind.  If it wasn't 40 mph, then the gusts certainly were.  It's usually windy here, and a storm was passing through as well, which made it that much worse.  I mean, I was going 6 mph on the flats, and 8 down a hill where I'd usually hit 20.  8!  Worse than physically tiring, it was frustrating!  I'm trying to make the longest, most desolate stretch of my whole trip, and I'm going a third of my normal speed.  Very hard going.

So, I eventually limped in to the Sweetwater rest station, 39 miles from Lander.  I made a sandwich and filled up on water, and pondered what to do.  I could stay at the rest area, but it was only 6:00 and that's pretty lame.  I could make some campgrounds that were 30 miles away, or I could push for Lander.  The wind was calming down, and it was a lot of downhill to Lander, so I chose option 2.5 - make the campsites, then see if I wanted to do the last 9 to Lander.

If you paid attention to the post title, you can guess that the Lander brewing company is not located at the campsites 9 miles out of town.  I summoned all my gumption and made Lander at 9:15.  I can camp (and shower!) at the town park, and I'm currently enjoying the Lander brewing company (pictured: beer #2, Rockchuck Rye).  First beer was the pale ale, which I liked more.  Undecided on the third beer.  If there is a fourth beer I won't make it to the city park.

3 comments:

  1. Dear Dave,
    Sorry it was so rough getting to Lander. Looks like there are alot of towns from now on. All of us in Chicago say "keep on truckin'!"
    Love,
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Go, Dave, Go!

    ...and beware of dysentery.

    ReplyDelete