Map Top

Thursday, August 25, 2011

Thoughts while eating breakfast 6 miles from California

I'm really not sure how to feel.  I had similarly mixed emotions when I first reached the ocean in Cannon Beach.  Relief that I had reached such a big milestone, but less sense of accomplishment than I had thought I'd feel.  Even though I had technically "biked across the country", my trip still had 700 miles to go, so the euphoria I would have felt was seriously lessened by knowing there were still two weeks left.  Add to that the bittersweet feelings I have about my adventure winding down, and it's a big mix of emotions.
 So I feel very similar now, staring down the road at one of my last big thresholds to cross.  I'm excited to get to California, but I know there won't be a big feeling of achievement.  Will I get that feeling when I cross the Golden Gate Bridge?  Or when I go swimming in San Francisco?  Or when I roll into San Jose and I'm really, truly done?  Or will I be disappointed that the trip is over?

I think I'll finally get that joyous feeling while I cross the golden gate, then again in San Jose.  The ocean and the border are big deals, but I wouldn't expect any sort of "I did it!" sentiment until I'm actually done.

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=42.05299922,-124.28601517






1 comment:

  1. I think it probably doesn't help that you are still doing the trip and it's not over yet. Once it is indeed over, and you get to be home and relax and reflect on your journey, you'll probably feel differently. Even if you don't now, years from now, you can still cherish what you have accomplished and be glad that you did that instead of wondering if you could do it or not. Good job!

    ReplyDelete