Map Top

Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Puppy weather

Bear with me, I'm coining a new term.  An f'ing adorable new term.

You know how a puppy can be the perfect size dog?  And you might wish they would stay that size, but you know that they'll slowly grow out of it?

Ok.  Sometimes the biking conditions at night are like that.  All through Kansas, the days were so hot and sunny, but when the sun went down the temperature and humidity dropped, and the wind calmed down, and the light was so perfect, I felt like I could bike forever....but eventually it would become dark, and finally I'd reach a point where I had to stop.  That's puppy weather - that time of day when everything is perfect and I wish it could stay like that forever....except I know that it will keep getting darker and colder and eventually it won't be perfect anymore.

Today was the first return of that kind of evening biking since eastern Colorado.  It was around 100 today, but as soon as the sun set everything was perfect and beautiful, especially these new low, brown, tree-less hills that I am encountering for the first time.  I felt I could have continued to Portland, but eventually it got dark and I had to end the day.



2 comments: