Map Top

Friday, August 12, 2011

I was hit by a car

Two days ago, a few miles east of Umatilla.  I wasn't actually hit straight on - they hit my front left pannier, and possibly the sideview mirror hit me in the hip.  However it happened, I was thrown off the bike pretty hard (the car was probably travelling 50+ mph).  I was able to get up right away....just in time to watch the car slow down, then speed up and drive away.  The police did not find them.

I waved down another car, and the driver called 911 for me.  To be honest, I was hoping to jump in the car and go chasing after the guy, but this was probably the sensible thing to do.  The police and paramedics came, and I agreed to go get checked out at the hospital in Hermiston.  They did a couple X-rays and a CAT scan, and they came back negative.  Looks like I escaped with a good deal of road rash and a wickedly bruised hip.  They were ready to discharge me around 2:00 AM, but let me sleep until 8:00.

In the morning I got a free breakfast in the cafeteria, then the doctor called the local bike shop and had them come pick me up.  They checked out the bike (it's ok!  I can't believe it) and I bought a new helmet (the old one cracked!).  They gave me a ride to a hotel.  I checked in and slept all afternoon.

This morning I woke up and felt better.  I took care of any remaining bike things and did a couple errands.  I rode the bike around the parking lot and while it wasn't entirely pleasant, I'm definitely able to continue.  I almost left this morning, but decided to stay one more day, just to make sure I'm ready to go.

Despite the time I've sat around here I should still make it to San Francisco in time.  I was going to hang out in Portland for a few days, then have a leisurely time riding down the coast.  Now I either won't spend as much time in Portland, or have a slightly less-leisurely time going down the coast.  Either way, barring any other setbacks I should still be able to finish the trip!

My pannier was pretty beat up, and a lot of stuff went flying out or was crushed.  My cell phone charger was destroyed.  The phone itself ended up 20 feet down the road, but was otherwise unharmed.  Somehow it, and the 1900 pictures inside, survived.

And....if you suspect that my beard and hair and general appearance make me look like a crazy homeless person, you should have seen me limp around Rite-Aid wearing scrub pants with bandages around my arms.  I would have understood if they had turned me away from the hotel!





3 comments:

  1. OMG, I am so glad you are ok. I can't believe the driver just drove away. Don't worry too much; karma will come back and bite them in the ass. Hope the rest of your trip will be safe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad to hear you're doing okay. It really sucks that people suck so much.

    ReplyDelete