Map Top

Friday, June 17, 2011

Mount Mitchell

An epic climb!  First took rt 80 out of Marion.  I knew it was steep because the average opinion was "I don't even like going up there in my car".  But I was able to make it up - this took me from 1600 feet up to 3300.  

Next was a 12 mile stretch along the BRP, from 3300 to 5100 feet.  I met an older lady who was climbing with an unloaded bike...turns out my extra 50 pounds evens me out with 60 year old women.  Anyway, eventually got up to the Mt. Mitchell summit road at 5100 feet.

The summit road was tough but only a bit worse than what I had done.  In 5 miles I went up to 6684 feet, and I was there!

Funny story.  Since there is an auto road, of course there is a parking lot on top.  The lot was 100 yards short of the summit, and there was a walking path up.  NOT ONLY was I surrounded by people who had driven to the top, but there was even a golf cart shuttle that many people had taken up the short walking path.  I felt I deserved the view more than them.

After coming down, it turned out I had 10 miles of more up and down before I finally got to enjoy a 15 mile (!!!) descent into Asheville.  Found my brother, enjoyed the city for the night (very very nice city!) and tomorrow we'll we on our way!

These are some pictures of the way up.






2 comments:

  1. Congratulations Dave! Time to start heading north again.

    The beard looks good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Playoffs are over! Bruins won! You can shave the beard!

    ReplyDelete