Map Top

Wednesday, June 29, 2011

A big day, and thought on the upcoming plains

First off, we did 89 miles today!  That's the longest day I've done with Adam, and the longest that didn't make me feel sick at the end of the day (I did 99 on day 3, but wished I hadn't).

There wasn't a cloud in the sky all day, and with the lack of trees we more or less in direct sun for over 6 hours today.  It wasn't so hot, but I have that feeling you get after a long day at the beach...I'll call it pleasant exhaustion.

And...the plains.  Today was my first taste if what's to come.  If anything, I'm worried about the extreme monotony of the landscape.  Crops as far as the eye can see.  The occasional farm house or silo.  And a town every 15 miles, with no promise of any sort of store or restaurant in the town.  You see a water tower or line of trees that seem right up ahead, and it takes forever to reach them.

But I'm not concerned.  I'll bring headphones and listen to music and when necessary, sing to myself while I roll along.  The worst stretch should only be from Kansas City to Denver...I'll have to recheck my math but I think that will only be a week or so.  I'll just put my head down and power through.

Included are a couple pictures of the windfarm, and a shot of my big 2000th mile.  Hooray milestone!




No comments:

Post a Comment