Map Top

Saturday, June 11, 2011

Franks for the Memories

This is where I am relaxing with my second large beer (only $2.99!) after an all-around excellent day of biking.  The day in order:

Camped at mile 80 (of 105) on Skyline, so woke up and finished off the park.  It was very bittersweet as I stopped at my last overlook.  It was also mostly downhill, with out any major climbs.  So that was nice.

Got into Waynesboro and had my little crisis.  Not an especially attractive city, despite the all-American soap box derby (note that my picture had only one racer because his opponent had crashed into a telephone pole near the top).  Headed out of town toward I-81 and Staunton, which was dumpy as well.

Rather the follow shoulder-less Rt 11, I went one valley north and took 919, a lovely farm road that eventually took me to Fairfield (wild flowers were on this road).

From Fairfield, my farm road option disappeared, but I had the genius idea to cut south to Rt. 608 at Marlbrook.  That road took me next to a river (flat!) in to Buena Vista (pronounced "Byoona Vista").  This lovely town lives up to its name (see photo) and is home to Southern Virginia University.  

Rather than camp on the river, I will probably camp in town in Glen Maury park.  They have a campground, and the office is currently closed and doesn't open until 8:00 (wink wink).

So now I find myself listening to a Paul Simon look alike (original songs as far as I can tell) and drinking delicious local beer (Starr Hill Jomo) until I feel content to go shower (!!!) at the campground and call it a night.

Oh yeah - my 3 days in Shenandoah have given me super energy legs.  I am now officially whipped into shape and should begin kicking some serious ass.

No comments:

Post a Comment