Map Top

Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Day 7 recap, and sleeping at the carnival

Today was a tough day.  I got on the road a little early from Lancaster, around 8:00.  The road to the river was closed, so I had to take a hilly detour.  Columbia, the town on the Susquehanna, was very pretty.  After crossing, the road wasn't great and was uphill and ugly to York.  From there I was all excited for a rail trail, but that turned out to be unpaved.  I took it anyway, and it was slightly uphill for 13 miles as we followed a river upstream.  I got off that in Glen Rock, and had a sandwich. 

That's another thing - I didn't eat enough today.  I think i feel best when I have an enormous meal, rather that some spaced out smaller ones.  I'll try again tomorrow.

After Glen Rock it was oppressively hot and humid to the Maryland border, then beyond to Westminster.  In Westminster I dropped in on my college friend Matt, his wife Alex, and their baby Jones.  It was great to meet Jones, and to see the two of them, even just for a short time.

I took a while deciding where to go next, and at 6:30 left into the much cooler air for a last ride to Mt. Airy.  I had seen that they had a couple motels, but I was hoping to find something better.  I arrived in downtown, which is very cute.  I was going to see if I could tent outside the police office, but I asked some people if they knew of anywhere in town I could set up.  They told me to head over to the carnival, which was going on!  Also, both of the town's police officers should be there.

I went over, found the officer, and while he could not give me permission, he said he wouldn't bother me if I set up out of the way.  I took a look around, and decided to do it.

Before setting up, I locked my bike near the cop cars and went into the carnival.  I had a corn dog and a terrible plate of fried chicken.  I didn't go on any rides - didn't want to leave all my stuff unguarded for too long.

After, I found my spot and waited until most people of gone home (the picture is of the carnival from where I am).  Now its quiet and I think ill be all right for the night.

So after 7 days, I've done 6 different types of lodging:
Motel
Paid campsite
Stealth forest camping (Enders State Forest)
Municipal camping (fire station)
Stealth municipal camping (tonight)
Back yard camping

What's left?  Couch surfing and staying with a friend?

Tomorrow I'm heading towards the maryland-virginia-west Virginia intersection.  I'm heading towards Front Royal, VA but shouldn't be able to get there tomorrow.  We'll see what sort of exciting accommodations I figure out for tomorrow night.


1 comment:

  1. Don't let the Carnies scare you with their small hands and cabbage smelling ways. Great to see you yesterday and good luck the rest of the way.

    ReplyDelete