Map Top

Friday, June 17, 2011

Guest Blogger!

Now that I've been joined by my brother, I'm proud to bring you a guest blog entry!

Adam in Asheville

Dave is here! I got to Asheville a couple days before Dave and have spent the time wandering around town and reading. I found a book about the history of bicycle touring - a narrative of people who biked around the world in the 1890s on primitive bikes. They would sometimes wait for months in rural parts of Asia while replacement parts were sent from London. The book got me excited for the trip, and also put it nicely into perspective in terms of the NC-Chicago ride not being so long.

Asheville ended up being a great place to hang out for a couple of days. Good food, lots of art galleries, book stores, coffee shops, and live music. It has a bit of a 'hippy-yuppy-artsy' feel to it. It reminds me a bit of Boulder, CO.

The hostel I've been staying in, Sweet Peas, is right down town and amazingly clean and friendly. They have a kitchen we can use, and Dave and I just finished a homemade breakfast of eggs, french bread, and blueberries (grocery shopping at whole foods down the street).

I think we'll be heading out of Asheville later this afternoon. Hopefully a short 30 mile ride to a camp site at the base of the Smoky Mountains. It will give Dave a little time to rest, and time for me to get used to biking again. Then, it will be up and over (or through a gap) in the mountains and on to Tennessee the next day. I'm excited to start biking!

No comments:

Post a Comment