Map Top

Sunday, June 12, 2011

Day 12 - a tough one

Tough mentally.  First, missed Alicia quite a lot today.  Next - yesterday, every decision I made went well.  Not today.  First, I accidentally killed an hour in Glasgow looking for a restaurant that was closed, then talking to a hiker while I ate some peanut butter.  Similar to yesterday I followed a road by the river, but this time it ended being unpaved, and had a shockingly steep climb back up to the main road.  That took me up to that crappy restaurant.  After a nice swim in Buchanan, I realized that I was on the Trans America trail.  I followed it twice.  The first was nice, but the second time went over some tough hills.  Finally I got back on the main road, and limped into Roanoke.

Tough physically.  After a delightfully foggy start (including foggy mountains - very nice), it heated up again and was back to 90 and humid by lunch.  All those hills and the unpaved road really added up today.  I sort of hit a wall just as I reached the edge of Roanoke, which was just as well because it started to rain.  I destroyed a soup and salad bar for over an hour before I felt better.

Tough logistically.  I'm not sure where to go from here.  The parkway goes right over the mountains.  I can go south, then parallel the parkway to Asheville.  Or I can stay north, then drop into Asheville through Tennessee.  I'm not taking the parkway, and Google gives similar distances for the other two.  I foolishly didn't think to call a bike shop for advice until they had all closed this afternoon (file that under the mental mistakes).

So, I found myself out of time to get out of Roanoke, short on energy to do so, and not even knowing which way to go if I did.  I've ended up in a motel in Southwest Roanoke, sort of the farthest I can get today and still go either north or south tomorrow. I will call a bike shop in the morning and figure out where to go, and then I'll be back on my way.

Getting to Asheville on the 15th is still a possibility, but I don't know for sure.  I'll figure out what changes to make to plans with my brother.

But I should be clear...a day like this is not out of the ordinary for a trip like this, and I remain in high spirits.  Not every day will end with drinking beer and listening to music in the rain after 77 great miles.  I'll be fine, but I figured I'd use this to record all of the trip, both good and bad.  Tomorrow is another day!

4 comments:

  1. Keep your head up! I can't believe how far you've already come on your own two wheels. We're all routing (sp?) for ya!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Today will be better. Keep up the good work.
    Love you,
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Dave--

    Just got this link from Adam. Looks like you are having an enjoyable trip overall and seeing a lot of good sights despite some setbacks. I definitely can identify with the frustration of things beyond your control--weather, logistics, hills etc. on a trip like this. Seems like you are finding plenty to enjoy along the way too.

    Sim and I just got back from 10 days biking in Utah/Arizona. Here's some pix if you are feeling extremely bored.
    http://tinyurl.com/6d6pdt2

    Enjoy bourbon and rolling hill country,
    Greg Radin

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Dave -
    I make more miscalculations before i leave the house...you are really making progress and I/we are your biggest cheering section!!
    Hurry Home :)

    ReplyDelete